THE ASIAN SERIES PT6
Straight through immigration and out into the arrivals hall the first thing I see is a fella spit on the floor inside the airport like its nothing, welcome to China! Have heard stories about kids just being allowed to piss on the straight and a lot of them actually wear crotchless trousers.
I’ll be honest, Shanghai isn’t high on my list of priorities but I’m more coming to visit a friend. It’s also very westernised compared to other places in Asia which doesn’t excite me but still looking forward to seeing what it has to offer.
- Shanghai translate to “Above / Upon the Sea”
- It has the world’s busiest container port at 45million containers annually
- It is one of the world’s largest cities – 25million
- 6million travellers visit the city every year
Checked into YHA Hostel and the first time I’ve ever stayed at a hostel where I’ve been expected to make my own bed, this travel life can bring up plenty of lifes greatest challenges! While wrestling with a sheet an Asia fella pokes his head in the door and gives out the most creepy “hello”. He said his last 2 friends were from this room and stayed in the same bed, so I think he just stalks this room.
After chatting a bit I asked him where he’s from and he lists a few counties he’s been but I know he’s not giving everything. Turns out he actually doesn’t know where he was from/born and lives in the hostel but I don’t buy it. He tripped up when he told me he studied in Sweden, Oslo and ignored me when I said Oslo is in Norway.
But anyway, he studied economics and pretty much wanted to be my pal the time I was in Shanghai. I’m not so sure. He actually looks like a friend of mine (Hi Lewis Zadowski). As much as I tried to limit the conversation he was happy to sit there in silence. I was hungry so went for some food and he was happy to join.
TECH IN CHINA:
- China has banned the use of many apps including Facebook, WhatsApp and Google Maps.
- Download the relative maps you might need before arriving.
- Also note your hotel’s name and address in Chinese.
- VPNs will get you access to these apps but will be slow and the best ones won’t be free.
- Locals tend to use WeChat instead of Whatsapp, download it and buy a sim.
I don’t know if he’s completely telling the truth but I asked if he wanted some of my dinner. Well he started eating it like it was his, even going as far as leaving the veg and just picking the meat out, not sure how but I was laughing inside. I was happy for him to eat away as I’m not sure he normally eats anything other than bread. I don’t even know if he has a family but I’ll be asking how he pays for the hostel accommodation another time as he laughed and asked not to talk about it, but I’d be happy to give him a welcomed break.
- Have you been to Shanghai?
- What is your favourite city in Asia?
- Any strange stories to share about hostels?
Let me know in the comments below . . .