THE CARIBBEAN SERIES, DAY 6
BVI – SINT MAARTEN
The Baths at Virgin Gorda. Staying here for 2 weeks would be a dream but with exploring the island all day yesterday and getting to Virgin Gorda today I can say I’m satisfied with the days I’ve had.
TO THINK THIS WAS FORMED 50 MILLION YEARS AGO!
Staying for any length of time in the Caribbean kills the bank balance. Not bad if you travel once a year but I’ve always got to think of the next trip 💰💰💰
WHERE IS VIRGIN GORDA?
My host Ben had mentioned that if I had to see one place on BVI it has to be the baths at Virgin Gorda. A place like no other he said. This shows the importance of local knowledge, it’s literally invaluable. It’s one thing doing some research online and it’s another when a local is happy to put their neck on the line and give you a direct recommendation! Do not turn these recommendations down.
Ferries to and from Gorda are quite frequent and take less than 45mins so it’s ideal for a day trip, but due to my flight I was only getting 3 hours.😬But after getting the $99 dollar special;two return tickets and a car rental I arrived at Baths National Park and like the rest of my trip had the entire place to myself.
The coat of arms of Sint Maarten which incorporates the colours of the Dutch flag.
Red – solidarity and courage
Blue – peace and assurance of pardon
White – purity and faith
- HOTEL – Emerald Residence, Maho 6.5/10, £60
- RESTAURANT – 3 Amigos
- FOOD – Tacos of course
- ATTRACTION – Baths at Virgin Gorda
Ben was right, the place is special and even on my rabbit hole Instagram sessions I haven’t seen a place like it, online or for real. They were formed during the tertiary period (50million years ago) by molten rock put under immense pressure 🤯 The name comes from the many pools that form during high tide.
DAILY TRAVEL STATS….
- Steps – 13,100
- Number of flights – 1
- Flight itinerary – BVI – Sint Maarten
- Airlines –Inter Caribbean Airways
- Miles covered – 107 mi
It was hard going but I said my goodbyes and headed off to the airport. BVI couldn’t have left a sweeter taste in my mouth!
Arrived into SXM and from the airport I’m not sure I’ve paid a higher rate for a taxi in my life. The apartment is less than a mile from the airport and cost $15 to get there, down from the $50 I was first quoted 😬 I know times are tough but think about the rest of us!
- The Baths is officially called Devil’s Bay National Park
- The batholiths were formed during the Tertiary period (65 million to 2.5 million years ago) by molten rock under immense pressure, seeping up into existing volcanic rock layers under a young Caribbean Sea.
- When molten volcanic rock cooled just off the coast, it formed the gigantic granite boulders now known as The Baths.
- PEOPLE – 9/10, warm, polite, helpful and generous
- BACKPACKING – 8.5/10
- WEATHER – 8/10, colder up north, great down south
- THINGS TO DO – 8/10, Plenty to do and see; activities, history, beaches, nightlife
- FOOD – 7.5/10, I love asian food, try the Vietnamese coffee!!
- VALUE – 8/10. Cheaper than most but no longer what it used to be
Saint Maarten might be doing well to get anywhere near the experience of BVI but I have a good feeling about this place!
Another trip out of the blue, this time getting a visa to Anguilla. Click to read.
SAFE TRAVELS, DS x
- Do you enjoy island hopping?
- Day trips or overnights?
Let me know in the comments below . . .