THE AZORES SERIES, DAY 11&12
SAN MIGUEL – LISBON – FARO
A day on San Miguel. Today is going to be a busy day, having just 1 day here I’ll have to clock up the miles to visit as many attractions as possible before sunset and with a red eye flight in the morning to Lisbon and Faro, it’ll be my only opportunity.
First off its back to SeteCidades to see the 4 lagoons, San Miguel’s most famous viewpoint, so here’s hoping the weather has taken a break😬.
- HOTEL – Sandra’s House, 6/10, £70
I’ve always been a big believer of getting up early and visiting the more popular locations early to avoid the crowds and I got the best example today!
Having arrived at 8am and apart from 4 others I had the place pretty much to myself for 30minutes, perfect for a few photos. Making my way back to the car park was a different experience however. I originally thought it was 9am and that’s the time all the buses start their tours as everyone just kept coming at the one time. But there was one bus in the car park but full of cars, maybe 9am is a Portuguese thing!
After a Komaki burger and checking out Vista do Rei I pretty much raced around the island visiting as many spots as possible before the sunset. Again, the weather wasn’t ideal but you got to make the most of the situation!
DAILY TRAVEL STATS….
- Steps – 11,500
- Steps – 3,700
- Number of flights – 2
- Flight itinerary – Sata Azores Airlines 07:30 – 10:45 TAP 14:45 – 15:30
- Miles covered – 1,053 mi
Now it’s off to the Algarve to meet the family for the annual holiday in VDL. Pool, ice cream & cocktails in that order!
- São Miguel is the largest of a total of nine islands that make up the Azorean archipelago.
- São Miguel is the only place in the world where pineapples are grown in greenhouses.
- São Miguel is home to the only tea plantation in Europe.
- There are web cams dotted around the island so you can do live weather checks via the “Spot Azores” app.
As the main island, San Miguel has plenty to offer but as most don’t, you need to go further beyond this incredible island for the complete Azores experience.
Read The Azores Reflection post here or if you want to read about $200 PCR tests, hurricane season and the most idyllic beaches in the world check out The Caribbean Series!
SAFE TRAVELS, DS x
This post is part of The Azores Series, click to explore the series or for episode 1, click here.
To watch the video of my trip, head to my highlights on my Instagram.
- Have you been to The Azores or would like to visit?
- What would be your favourite experien
Let me know in the comments below . . .