THE AZORES SERIES, DAY 4&5
TERCEIRA – FLORES
2 days looking at mist in Flores. After half a day checking out some more of Terceira I was off to island number 2, Flores, known to be the highlight of the Azores….on a clear day.
STUCK IN THE CLOUDS
My first day and a half on Flores was spent racing around chasing the good weather and if I’m honest, the effort was wasted! Waking up on the east coast with clear blue skies you almost feel lied to by the time you made the 5-minute trip up into the mountains, where the cloud cover went from 0 to 100.
- HOTEL – Casas Da Quinta, 7/10, £120
- RESTAURANT – Aldeia da Cuada
That being said, I was lucky to see what I did on the first day as just 30 minutes later the cloud came in and stuck around for the next few days.
DAILY TRAVEL STATS….
- Steps – 9,500
- Steps – 10,250
- Number of flights – 1
- Flight itinerary – Sata Azores, 16:25 – 17:25
- Miles covered – 221 mi
Accommodation is a huge issue in Flores, it turns out I only got a hotel because of a last minute cancellation, so purely right place right time. Weather aside however, the west coast is the place to stay, being that bit closer to the mountains and having easy access to attractions such as the waterfall; Cascata do Poço do Bacalhau and the island’s highlight; PoçoRibeira do Ferreiro (Alagoinha). If anyone visits Alagoinha, be sure and let me know what it’s like, the weather really took the hand out of me here.
- The island of Flores has incredible scenery; deep valleys and high peaks, lagoons bordered by hydrangeas, cliffs carved by grottoes, hot springs, and the remains of old volcanoes.
- Flores (Flowers) owes its name to a great profusion of wild flowers.
- On May 27, 2009, Flores was chosen as one of several areas to be included on UNESCO’s list of World Network of Biosphere Reserves
- Flores has area of around 55 square miles (143 Km2), and about 4000 inhabitants.
Flores is meant to be the gem of the Azores but you can’t have it all your own way.
A day trip to Azores smallest island, Corvo for some Tinder tales, click to read.
SAFE TRAVELS, DS x
- Have you ever had the weather ruin an entire trip?
- Would the rain ruin your trip?
Let me know in the comments below . . .